Monday, January 4, 2010

Mon., 01/04/10




Hello. This is my first 2010 post to this blog.
In Sept. 2009 I joined gather.com where member contributions earn points redeemable for gift cards.
Not until recently did I have any compact fluorescent "lamps" in sockets. [When did light bulbs become "lamps?" window panes "lights?"]
A great gift for college students, retirees, & unemployed workers is a CFL. Savings in terms of dollars & energy are impressive as is long life of CFL. Give CFLs to everybody!
I've been thinking about light bulbs since bulb in garage fixture burned out. At least I think it burned out. Turns out the bulb was a 4.65" halogen double-ended "lamp." In November 2009 I ordered a replacement electronically. It wasn't in stock & had to be ordered. Six wks. later UPS delivered lamp to my house.
Fixture is mounted on garage near the gable. To remove old bulb & install new one I used ext. ladder. Driveway is uneven. When I installed replacement bulb or lamp I put summer tires around feet of ladder to increase my safety & self-confidence. Two springs in fixture hold lamp. I had to climb ladder at least 12 times to try every combination before lamp illuminated when turned on. Switch is in the kitchen. While installing lamp I noticed spring connections are rusty.
Halogen burns at high temperature & one is supposed to handle lamp with paper towel or clean cloth. Skin contains oil/s which will damage bulb or shorten its life.
About two yrs. ago I bought a pr. of three-way porcelain lamps at a resale shop. After both lamps fell to floor on separate occasions bulbs didn't operate at three settings. They only emitted 70 watts of light not 30 or 100. When I bought CFLs I also bought two three-way bulbs for the sake of safety. I don't want to worry about bulb not actually being OFF while I'm at work.
Does anybody know if CFLs are available with three-settings for three-way lamps/light fixtures?
Happy new yr. & decade
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment